Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Food Shopping Test


I take myself as a thrifty shopper. I go to the grocery store about once every week and will honestly never buy anything not on sale. Lately, Matt is really questioning my shopping receipts and asking WHY? I am not sure why; the economy, we eat more? The one thing I know is that all the food I buy gets eaten. So, Matt took the challenge from me to do all the shopping for 1 month. Matt knows little about cooking, what me and the children eat all day, and the lay out of the grocery store. So, to help I typed a shopping list with categories for food groups. His first trip was this morning. He came almost two hours later very excited to have only spent $104 (I am a little impressed). But, he made some not so great tweaks to my list. He bought sliced cheese (11 slices for $3) I told him a block of cheese, but he said a block is six dollars. Yes Honey, but you get sliced cheese for about 20 sandwiches and lots of chunks for a child snack and shredded for dinners. Second change, frozen orange juice. He said he saved $3. I know that frozen is way cheaper! It just gets stuck in the sippy cups and it is the only juice my kids get once a day. So I may pay more but we don't buy any other type of beverage besides milk. He also got bone in(like a thousand little bones) chicken breast with skin. Yes, it is way cheaper but gross and I am the one that has to prepare it. One more thing when something is a really good sale like can food for 40c or cereal for $2 I buy like ten to put in my food storage. He only stuck to the list not buying any extras. One more thing he thinks we buy too much fresh fruit (have you every heard of such a thing). I love my husband to death and I am so glad he works so hard so I can stay home and spend his money! He is just wanting to save some more money for our upcoming new expense. If you actually read all this jabber then you get the reward in knowing baby #3 is on its way.

12 Comments:

At 8:42 PM , Blogger Leslie said...

Hooray and Congrats!! Hope you are feeling good. :)

 
At 9:51 PM , Anonymous angee said...

Congrats!!!!

Angee (Davis) Duvall

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger Tiffani said...

Yeah! We have had the same discussion about groceries--the truth is, they just cost more! Congrats on baby #3!

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger Julia Kelly said...

Good for Matt and yeah for you!! (I guess yeah for Matt as well) When are you due?

 
At 1:17 PM , Blogger VirtualM said...

Everyone is pregnant these days! I stopped looking at the food bill once I got pregnant since I can't cook anymore - we just eat out since preparing food makes me sick. Then again, Juston doesn't even like to think about spending money at the grocery store, so he just leaves it all to me and doesn't even check how much I spend. Food freedom, it's kinda nice! Good on Matt for even braving the grocery store - I send my husband and he comes back with a Key Lime Pie and a gallon of ice cream instead of what he's supposed to buy!

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger Kat said...

Congrats!!!I thought so, But I didn't want to say anything until you did :)
What tipped me off was that Nick said you guys are getting a mini van.lol I'll take Matt shopping. I'm the queen of savings. Have you shopped at Aldi's in Hanover? We normally spend 140$ for 2 weeks for 3 of us (with coupons) at Aldi's I spend 100$ (It's a little bit of a ride but not too far)

 
At 5:25 PM , Blogger amy said...

#1 I totally hear you about the chicken. I will splurge for skinless boneless chicken any time since I HATE raw poultry and I think it's just about the worst thing to deal with. #2 I hear you about the frugal/not frugal grocery shopping conundrum. #3 congrats on #3! and #4 It was SO good to see you. I have meant to blog about it on my blog but haven't yet. I just wanted you to know how happy I was to see you and how much I love you! Hope I see you again soon.

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger Jensen Family :) said...

Oh My goodness!!!! Congrats Guys! Another Baby Yea!

 
At 8:30 AM , Blogger The McKay's said...

Kristen you are hilarious. Great blog. And I hear you on chicken--its way better to splurge and get the nicer, easier stuff. Because preparing chicken in ANY way is gross. Why not making it easier?

Congrats again on number #3! I really hope Carson and I can come out and visit you guys sometime this summer. We love and miss you guys :)

 
At 8:51 AM , Blogger Amato family said...

This posting was hysterical! Loved it.
Congratulations on baby #3!!! Very exciting news. :)

As it happens, we are expecting baby #2 ourselves. Although we haven't announced it yet until after the doctor's appt. at the end of this month. We'll have to keep each other posted over the coming months!

 
At 8:22 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Cheek said...

I'm a tight wad with groceries too----I have to save money for diapers too!!!! 12 weeks 2 days today! esc

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Little Lucy said...

Girl! Bone-in, skin on, chicken breast is the only way to go. It turns out much juicier, if you cook it right.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home